Central Elementary School
61 Woodside Road
Riverside, IL 60546
(708) 447-1106

Draft PTO Meeting Minutes April 2010

Posted Apr 22, 2010 | Category: Everything Else

This information was originally posted on April 22, 2010. Please note that the article refers to events from a previous school year.

Draft Central School PTO Meeting Minutes

Tuesday April 6, 2010

Introduction: The meeting began at 9:02 am in the Central School multipurpose room. PTO officers in attendance were: Allyn Pilewski, Jane Wilhelm, Samantha Durst, Mary Ellen Meindl, Jennifer Sedivy, Jeanine Vaia and Kate Nessinger. Also in attendance were Central School teachers Mrs. Meg O’Brien and Mrs. Samantha Lutz.

Minutes: Cathy Louthen made a motion to approve the March 9, 2010 PTO minutes. Melinda Brom seconded the motion. The motion passed.

Principal’s Report: Mrs. Meg O’Brien reported for Dr. Limperis. Mrs. O’Brien reported that the MAP testing is being conducted this week. The reading test is being given to students in grades 2-5 this week and the math portion will be given next week. The fifth grade orientation to Hauser is held on April 14. Esther Hershenhorn is writing with grades 3-5 on April 16. April 16 is mid trimester. Little Symphony is performing on Open House night April 22. Mrs. O’Brien reported that fifth grade teacher, Ms. Erin McCarthy, had her class write songs about their favorite books then created music videos to go along with their songs. These are available on pod casts on Ms McCarthy’s web page.

Teacher Representative: Mrs. Sam Lutz reported that the teacher’s are preparing for Open House, April 22. Mrs. Lutz thanked the PTO for the book fair and stated that the students are excited about it.

Flexible Boundary Committee Report: Greg Nessinger, the Central School’s representative to the District 96 Flexible Boundary Committee, stated that the Flexible Boundary Policy is to trying to keep the schools’ class sizes equal within the district. The policy sets a class size limit and allows for students to be sent to another district school if a classroom limit is met. Greg reported that a problem with the policy is that students in a single family have, at times, been sent to different schools. A priority of the Committee is to educate siblings at the same school. The committee is looking at a geographic weighting system for the assignment process, as well as giving a choice on the application form. The Flexible Boundary Committee will make a recommendation to the Board Of Education when they complete their research. The committee is meeting tomorrow night at 7:00 at Hauser. The committee minutes are posted on the district website.

Officer’s Reports

President’s Report: Allyn Pilewski began by encouraging all PTO members to attend Board Of Education and Committee meetings. Allyn asked for any nominations from the floor for the 2010-11 PTO officers. No nominations were heard. Allyn presented the slate : Jeannine Glavas and Samantha Durst as co-presidents, Erin Durkin and Tracy Sloan as First Vice Presidents, Sue Pipal as Second Vice President, Jeanine Vaia as Third Vice President, Patrick O’Laughlin as Treasurer, Kate Nessinger as Recording Secretary and Allyn Pilewski as Parliamentarian. Dawn Gmitro made a motion to approve the nominated slate. Laura Durkin seconded the motion. The motion passed. Allyn reported that the Riverside Sustainability Committee is petitioning to connect the bike path through Riverside. Allyn was asked to make a statement that the PTO supported this cause. Allyn stated the PTO wasn’t interested in supporting the measure as a organization because it didn’t specifically address the children of Central. She, however, pledged her personal support and passed around a petition encouraging the membership present to sign and a flyer with the information.

Treasurer’s Report: Jane Wilhelm reported that the PTO made $445 from Riverside Foods Scrip cards. Jane closed out the National City bank account and has all accounts at Riverside Bank.

First Vice President’s Report: Jennifer Sedivy reported that the Committee Chair folders will housed in a filing cabinet in the Cultural Arts Closet. There will be a sign up sheet on a bulletin board outside the closet to sign out folders. Each committee chair will be given a form to complete and turn over to the incoming committee chair. This should be done by the end of May. If the form is completed electronically that should go on CD and placed in the folder.

Second Vice President’s Report: Samantha Durst reported on the 2010-11 auction. Sam and Laura Durkin met with Dr. Limperis. Art teacher, Mrs. Mathis, has agreed to help with the artwork portion of auctioned items. Mrs. Mathis will introduce an artist and the students will interpret that artist’s style onto a piece of unfinished furniture. The furniture will be parent donated. These items will be stored at Central until time of the auction. Mrs. Mathis is the first person to donate an auction item. She is offering a piece of art work created by her son, an artist. The Auction Committee needs a check for $500.00 for deposit on PJ Klems. The auction is scheduled for Friday, November 5, 2010 from 6:30-10:00. The monies raised will support the Cultural Arts, Artist in Residence program. The Committee is now ask for volunteers and a sign up sheet was passed around. Dr Limperis will ask for teacher donations.

Sam reported that the PTO is now looking for philanthropy requests. Sam is seeking two general membership PTO members to assist on the Philanthropy Committee to meet over the next two weeks to decide on a philanthropy purchase.

Third Vice President’s Report: Jeanine Vaia reported that the yearbook order form will go out in feedblitz. Orders are due by end of the month. The PTO Installation of Officers luncheon is May 14 from 11:30-1:00 at the Chew Chew restaurant. The cost is $20 per person and free babysitting is offered.

Committee Reports

Turn off TV Week: Cathy Louthen reported that the Junior Girl Scout Troop 657 planned Turn off TV Week this year. Cathy handed out a list of planned events during the week of April 19 that include a Taste of Theatre and Taste of Yoga both offered at Central for a $2.00 fee. The Junior Girl Scouts will run Fun Fair on Friday from 6:30-8:00 in the Central Main Gym. This is free and all ages are welcome. Saturday there are classes at the Riverside Arts Center and an Olmsted Society work day of weeding. The girl scouts will be performing a 15 minute skit to students promoting Turn off TV Week.

Environmental Concerns: Dawn Gmitro reported that the committee is organizing a waste free lunch program for the week of April 26. Dawn asked that membership bring their own cups to the Teacher Appreciation luncheon.

Library: Jeannine Glavas reported that there is no book covering meeting this Friday, but the library committee will need volunteers on Friday April 23 and every Friday after that for the rest of the school year.

Book Fair: Nancy Hopkins stated that the committee still needs volunteers this morning. The Ice Cream Social is Thursday.

Teacher Appreciation Week: Melinda Brom reported that Teacher Appreciation Week is May10-14 and this year’s theme is “Sweet on You”. Melinda brought a sign up list and a feedblitz will go out for food items and accessories.

The meeting adjourned at 10:00. The minutes are respectfully submitted by Kate Nessinger, Recording Secretary.